Jordie Barrett's tendency to throw rugby's rule book for developing young players out the window means there's not much he could do to surprise Hurricanes coach Chris Boyd.

A New Zealand under-20 rep, Barrett has consistently impressed this season stepping up for the Canes in the absence of an injured Nehe Milner-Skudder.

He looks set to shine again in Napier on Friday, when he'll run out for the Hurricanes at fullback against the Brumbies at McLean Park.

Barrett has also caught the eye of All Blacks coach Steve Hansen, initially after travelling with the team as a development player on their northern hemisphere tour late last year.

Whether or not the 20-year-old has done enough to earn selection for the upcoming three-Test Lions series is another matter.

In Christchurch on Thursday, Hansen admitted Barrett was "there or thereabouts" when it came to his chances of joining brother Beauden in the All Blacks squad.

"He's playing well - we took him away on tour last year for a reason, and he's come back and shown that's been worthwhile," Hansen said.

"The guys in the Hurricanes are working brilliantly with him, getting the best out of him, and he's clearly loving playing with his brother."

Boyd is another who sees Barrett as a potential bolter in the All Blacks squad.

"Would I be personally be surprised? Probably not. Do I think they'll pick him? I've got no idea," Boyd said.

"In the back three, if everybody was fit, there's a significant number of choices.

"I guess the All Black selectors will be weighing up historical form, current form, return from injury... there's a bit of intrigue there."

Boyd said Barrett's form for the Hurricanes had been outstanding, although coaching staff were mindful of the fact that he was still young.

"We've had conversations around keeping control of his development.

"But at the end of the day that book sort of goes out the window when (a) you have a need and (b) when a guy puts his hand up and says 'I want to play, I'm ready' and does a good job for you."

NZ Newswire

More Sport News

Australian golfer John Senden has revealed son Jacob, 13, has been diagnosed with a brain tumour, with the 46-year-old breaking from the PGA Tour indefinitely.