Greg Inglis's sickening collision with Dean Young has fuelled calls for the NRL to ban shoulder charges but no action is likely before next season.
South Sydney star Inglis is expected to face a suspension following the NRL match review committee's meeting on Monday after his shoulder shot appeared to go horribly wrong and he collected Young in the head.
The dazed Dragons forward was taken from the ANZ Stadium field in a neck brace on Saturday night.
It follows similar high profile incidents this season which resulted in Frank Pritchard and Ben Te'o being suspended and prompted the NRL to launch their review of shoulder charges.
Inglis's superstar status and the spectacular footage of the incident will add heat on the NRL to follow the lead of rugby union and ban the high-risk tackle once and for all.
However, Brian Canavan, the NRL's head of the shoulder charge review committee, said no time frame had been set for what was to be a thorough, evidence-based study.
The NRL isn't expecting to hear back from Canavan until the end of the season.
"We'll go to the injury statistics and the medicos and come up with pure fact," said Canavan.
"We'll be using medical people and academics. That's what we'll be arriving at and leave it up to the NRL to make the decisions from there.
"The NRL didn't give us any time-lines as such, they just wanted it to be done thoroughly."
On the research committee with Canavan are NRL doctor Ron Muratore, Dr Hugh Hazzard, Ken Graham and former first grade coach David Waite.
Dr Muratore said the players' association would also be quizzed and research done with a university program which measures forces.
He confirmed there was no time frame but hoped "it won't take very long."
NRL director of football operations Nathan McGuirk, who commissioned the research, said he expected a decision before next season.
In the past two weeks, Young and Parramatta's Fuifui Moimoi have failed to return to the field after being hit high.
That's sparked calls for an 18th emergency player to be introduced from next year to standby for players who are taken out of matches as a result of illegal actions.
McGuirk said the rule change would be looked at but there were a variety of factors to consider.
"It's an issue the competition committee believed had merit last year," McGuirk said.
"We have to understand the consequences of making such a significant change, there's additional costs to the club and the game and salary cap implications."