Ross Taylor quits New Zealand cricket

Yahoo! New Zealand Sport December 7, 2012, 10:00 am

New Zealand will be embarking on its tour to South Africa without Ross Taylor.

New Zealand Cricket has confirmed this morning that Taylor has been axed as Black Caps captain, and will not travel with the team on its tour of South Africa.

Brendon McCullum will take over as captain in all three forms of the game.

Taylor was stripped of the one-day and T20 captaincy roles, but was offered the Test captaincy which he turned down.

More to follow....

Show:
Newest First
Oldest First
Top Rated
Most Replies

113 Comments

1. arts.com12:08am Thursday 27th December 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Why is the headline say he is quitting nz cricket, when it's just saying he is no going to S.A. ? Does yahoo like making up headlines or are we just being left in suspense. If you're going to report to the country you should do it properly. Is the writer on the minimum wage ? Misleading ?

2. Helen09:38am Monday 17th December 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Im so pleased RT told them to stick their cricket I realy thought he ws just going to go along with what ever they wanted. I agree with the above comments wont make any difference who they slot in as captain. I can see we will still continue to get thrashed I used to enjoy watching the odd game of cricket if NZ was playing but its been along time since I stopped the sports channel on the cricket. You cant win all the time I know that but come on Im embarrased for the team and dont want to watch it anymore already knowing what the result will be.

3. Stanley07:27am Monday 17th December 2012 ESTReport Abuse

I back Ross Taylor all the way look what his batting did for us in their last test win in Sri Lanka also his handling of the bowlers.Good on you Ross will be glad when your back. Also your love of the game is what we need in sport.

4. underarm_bowler07:06pm Sunday 16th December 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Who gives a Krap about such an insignifant event, insignificant cricket team and an insignificant country. Just stick to rugby cause that's all you seem to know. If NZ was smart it would sell its country to Australia so we can show you how to be successful in everything instead of being hopeless at everything. I think a check for $5.00 shows the true value

6 Replies
  5. Pdm304:09pm Sunday 16th December 2012 ESTReport Abuse

I have never had too much time for Ross Taylor, but I must admit that after his losing captaincy role in all forms, and the totally unprofessional way in which it was done, I did feel some sympathy for him. On top of this, following a reluctant, insincere and mumbled apology from NZ Cricket, I thought he was going to weaken, and kiss and make up. But No!!! . . . Much to my surprise RT does have some balls after all, and has stuck to his guns by not being involved in the upcoming tour / massacre to SA. Well done!!! Some respect is returning (slowly).

6. Michael03:15pm Sunday 16th December 2012 ESTReport Abuse

mark d what a 1 eyed #$%$ so you think mc cullum is gonna be the saviour of black craps ???? you are so niaeve little man aren't you

7. Michael03:10pm Sunday 16th December 2012 ESTReport Abuse

now that mccullum is captain i for see the future the black craps are still going to get thrashed again and again so nothing is gonna change no matter who is captain

8. Martin08:17am Sunday 16th December 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Under his captaincy we slid down the rankings to where we were below bangladesh.Loss after loss and now we bemoan his axing.Sure they did it wrong but is there an easy way to sack someone for pathetic losses.The clown who thinks this is rascist is just that.

9. Pedro09:54am Friday 14th December 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Good on ya Ross, you did us proud! Go enjoy a stress-free Christmas with your family homey. To Mc"Cull-them-all" and Hesson...let the haters hate

10. Hebe09:05pm Monday 10th December 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Some one has to be blamed for each defeat, but dumping Taylor won't make a lot of difference in the long run. Another tall poppy will be lined up in the future to blame.

Cricket Ladder