All-rounder Nathan McCullum is confident the New Zealand cricket team have developed a strategy to combat Chris Gayle's devastating hitting.

The West Indies opening batman has plundered the Black Caps' bowling in the two Twenty20 and two one-day internationals the sides have played so far on New Zealand's tour.

Gayle grabbed a half-century in each of the first three matches and then blasted 125, including nine sixes and eight fours, in the second one-dayer in Kingston last weekend.

"At the end of the day, we just have to get him out," McCullum said.

"We've got some plans in place which we're pretty sure are going to work. Let's hope they do."

The third of five matches in the ODI series is in St Kitts on Thursday (NZT).

McCullum said New Zealand were focused dismissing the likes of Gayle early to get the chance to do something that hasn't yet happened on tour - attack the home side's tail.

"We have to burn through their top order and see what their bottom order has got under pressure," he said.

Apart from Gayle, fellow century-maker Marlon Samuels, Kieron Pollard and Dwayne Smith have also got among the runs as the West Indies inflicted heavy defeats on New Zealand in all four matches.

While Warner Park is expected to offer a flat deck for the third ODI, McCullum indicated that issues such as the conditions weren't uppermost in the Black Caps' minds.

It was more about what they did themselves as they looked to put some heat on the West Indies batting, while trying to accumulate some big scores themselves.

"We just have to win," he said.

"We have to be determined to win and find any way possible."

NZ Newswire