Fringe Wallabies back Mike Harris produced a perfect audition for a spot on Australia's bench against South Africa by piloting University to the Queensland club rugby premiership on Sunday.

Playing just his third club game of the season, Harris was a stand-out at five-eighth and bagged a personal 16-point haul in the Red Heavies' 46-20 grand final thrashing of Sunnybank at Ballymore.

The New Zealand product did it all in his 75 minutes on the field, setting up three of Uni's six tries, kicking seven from nine with the boot and expertly guiding his side around the paddock.

Hoping to be included on the Wallabies' bench next weekend as a back-up playmaker, Harris could not have done much more.

Wallabies coach Robbie Deans, who must choose between Kurtley Beale and Berrick Barnes to replace the injured Quade Cooper at five-eighth against the Springboks, will no doubt be impressed when he receives footage of the game.

Harris will fly out for Pretoria on Tuesday with fellow Test squad members Rob Simmons and Ben Tapuai who were on the receiving end of the six-tries-to-two thumping.

Tapuai, also hoping for a bench place in the Rugby Championship clash, did spark a late first-half rally by Sunnybank by scoring their opening try after Harris shot Uni to a 24-3 lead in 20 minutes.

Harris firstly produced a pin-point cross-field kick for winger Elliot Hagen to score before floating a perfect cut-out pass over a Dragons defender to Luke Morahan who then put Hagen over for his second try.

The goalkicking sharpshooter also showed great support play, vision and hands to set up halfback William Thompson for the game-sealer midway through the second half for a 36-13 lead.

Simmons tried hard in a beaten pack and did shine with a 40m break before a shoddy attempted chip-kick over the fullback.

NZ Newswire

More Sport News

The Board of Control for Cricket in India has invited applications to take over from coach Anil Kumble, who will also be considered for a contract extension.